Hillcrest Transitional Housing seeks a full-time Case Manager for its Transitional Housing Program serving homeless youth up to age 21 at its campuses in Kansas City & Overland Park, KS. This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Hillcrest Transitional Housing has been providing transitional and rapid re-housing services to the homeless since 1976, moving families, adults and youth from homelessness to self-sufficiency. Position Summary: The Youth Case Manager implements the vision and mission of Hillcrest as pertains to the Youth Transitional Housing component of the Hillcrest Transitional Housing program. The Youth Case Manager administers the youth transitional housing program by addressing the needs of resident youth to ensure they have the ability and resources to become self-sufficient & obtain independent living through an up to 24-month program; the Youth Case Manager establishes long-term stability for Hillcrest program graduates and provides appropriate supportive services to current & graduate program clients. The Youth Case Manager reports directly to the VP of Programs.
1. Manages client selection by reviewing written application forms and coordinating, attending and contributing to prospective client interviews.
2. Coordinates client move-in dates with apartment sponsors and conducts formal orientation to residential facilities upon client arrival.
3. Ensures individual basic needs (health care, clothing, school supplies, etc.) are met by providing referrals and distributing donated products. Acts as central resource person for all inquiries from clients.
4. Schedules and oversees weekly budget meetings. Collaborates with volunteer budget counselors to ensure residents will earn and save sufficient resources to provide for future housing needs and begin independent living. Provides budget counseling if a volunteer is unavailable.
5. Monitors youth compliance with program expectations and guidelines for participation in budget sessions, Life Skills/Community Living classes and case management meetings while maintaining full-time school attendance/educational goal compliance, and obtaining part-time employment.
6. Maintains accurate written records of resident activities including an evaluation of each youth's progress at 1 month intervals while in the residential program; evaluates clients post-residential completion at 30 days, 90 days, and annually. Also maintains web-based HMIS data on each applicant and client of the program.
7. Encourages the youth’s success in the program by meeting with and counseling them on a weekly basis, taking care to illustrate the reasons behind the rules of the program, as well as instilling the hope of success via this program.
8. Coordinates necessary youth services with local school districts, mental health services, health services, and substance abuse services.
9. Delegates tasks (sorting pantry, thrift store errands, furniture pickups, storage, questionnaires, form letters, etc.) to volunteers by recruiting, training and nurturing them in their designated tasks to meet Hillcrest high standards.
10. Manages and delegates tasks to live-in Resident Managers, including coordinating client move-ins, facility upkeep, and weekly apartment checks.
11. Facilitates client transition to self-sufficiency by scheduling a visit to their new home and initiating regular personal contacts with graduate youth to offer advice and encouragement through the Aftercare Program.
12. Develops and implements programs that benefit youths transition to self-sufficiency, e.g., tutoring, educational field trips, GED training, aftercare, youth group, etc.
13. Manage programs that benefit youth such as the Back-to-School program and Christmas Adoption Program.
Knowledge and Skills Required: A Bachelor's degree is preferred with preferred course work in social work, sociology or psychology. Previous experience delivering services to disadvantaged or homeless youth is favorable. The Youth Case Manager must have a positive attitude, an ability to work with people in a small setting, a capacity for problem solving with homeless youth using strengths based & trauma informed strategies, and a commitment to helping people.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Schedule: Monday through Friday; (Some weekend and/or evening hours as needed)
Application Submission: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 professional, work related references with contact information to Lu Ann Ross, Vice President of Programs, at email@example.com, with the subject line " FT Youth CM".