Under the direction of the Sports Director, the sports official is responsible for the safe control of the sport in which they are employed, by objectively and competently ruling the game(s). This is to include controlling the spectators, coaches, and participants of any physical and verbal behavior. The official will also ensure that the coaches and participants are properly demonstrating the Y four core values of Honesty, Caring, Respect and Responsibility.
- Contribute to the overall YMCA mission of healthy living, youth development and social responsibility.
- Officiate the assigned sport in a proper manner.
- Assist in setting up for games, approximately 15 minutes prior to scheduled time, and looking over the gym or field for anything that could be harmful to participants during the course of the game.
- Immediately inform sports director of any problems or incidents/accidents that may arise in schedules, coaches, teams, field conditions, players, associate relations, etc.
- In controlling the game, under the supervision of the coordinator or director the official has the authority to remove anyone from the facility premises, indoors and outside, that he or she deems is behaving in a manner unbecoming a Y event.
- Able to communicate Y mission statement to program participants.
- Relate to the coaches, parents, and participants in a positive way.
- Recommend to sports director any changes on rules, schedules, etc.
- Participates in ongoing trainings and evaluations.
- Check work schedule and appropriately enter time using timekeeping system.
- Be aware of and report to sports director facility use or damage to the facility during a game.
- Must be age 16.
- Knowledge and training of the sport in which employed.
- Have a definite knowledge of the rules and policies of the related sport.
- Ability to communicate with coaches and parents in a reasonable and competent manner.
- Current certifications in CPR and First Aid preferred.
- Able to reflect a positive image and attitude.